Monday, July 20, 2009

DIY: Bedroom Set Staining

We finally finished it! After a weeks worth of time, we have successfully created a bedroom decor that we are completely satisfied with and, frankly, looks almost brand new! The bedroom set was definitely older and had it's wear and tear, but the staining absolutely did the trick! Like I said before, we also painted the dresser pulls a bright silver color to give it that extra finish. I've fallen in love with the changes, and I hope you do too!

Total cost breakdown of this project:
  • Metal Spray Paint: $6.00
  • Two cans of Dark Oak Stain (Satin): $24.00
  • Two sets of Curtains from Big Lots: $12.00 per two panels ($24 total)
  • Art from Target: $39.99 (But we only payed $18 because we had a gift card!)
  • Steel Wool: $3.00
  • Paint Brushes: $5.00
  • Small hand towels to wipe up excess stain: $1.00
  • Total cost for this bedroom makeover: $102.99

A much better price than buying a $1500 brand new bedroom set. Simply make yours fancier!!

Here's the before picture:

And here's the after:
I think the curtains really lighten up the feel of the room, and check out that night stand table, it looks brand new!

We used steel wool to clean the dresser pulls and prepare the metal for paint.
We then used Valspar Silver Metal Paint to give them that bright finish. We used two coats for each pull to assure the shine. (I know this says Metallic, we used Silver).

Here's the before:
And here's the after:
They look brand new, don't they!?

Headboard Before:
After: (Now remember, we used two coats of stain for every piece to achieve that dark finish.)
Before of the Dresser Mirror:
After:
We finalized our set yesterday by staining the dresser, but it was HOT HOT HOT! We fixed that problem, though! Be creative, people!
Another view of the room. See my necklace hanger?
A picture of the art we bought from Target. It brings out some more colors in the room and also continues the asian flower feel from the comforter set.
And another view of the bedroom makeover! I love it!

We completely LOVE our new look and hope that you do too! Don't be hesitant when you want to make something over, folks. Get the idea in your head and make it happen! Also, don't second-guess yourself on the look you want. I have a strong tendancy of doing that, but I surprised myself with this project. I had the thought and I followed through!

I'm off to start my next project! The coffee table in the living room.

Happy makeovers, blogger friends!

2 comments:

Pamela said...

I really like the makeover!

Danielle and Clint said...

WOW! The before and after of the handles is amazing! What a difference.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...